Sunday 8 November 2015

COFFEE CULTURE

Budapest is known for it's beautiful cafés and my friends and I have our favourites which we visit on rotation. One of my absolute favourites is Déryné, which is a 100 year old French style brasserie and bistro and I have celebrated birthdays, ate breakfasts, lunches, brunches and dinners here. The atmosphere outside is similar to a café in Paris and at night the lights are twinkling and it feels so romantic. From the piano player to the fireplace, the white subway tiles, massive meringues and cozy wine cellar, this place is amazing for its atmosphere and good food. Try the crispy duck salad or the slow braised beef cheek.


Art nouveau Centrál Kávéház is just around the corner from where I live and I can't just pass by without stopping in to buy some Hungarian cake or French macarons. The hot chocolate with gingerbread is fantastic for fall and they serve a great grilled goat cheese with rosemary pear purée.


Művész Kávéház was built in 1898 and the high ceilings, grand chandeliers and walls of mirrors still take you back to this time. Of course, it has been renovated since then, but the touches from the past still remain. When I first moved to Budapest, I lived in the 7th district and we used to sit outside on the terrace with friends watching people go by for hours, reading magazines, drinking coffee and doing work. This location has also been used many times as a movie set as it resembles the cafes of Paris. In 2011, I was sitting with my friend, drinking coffee and a crew showed up and started setting up for a film, which I later realized to be Bel Ami, with Robert Pattinson, Uma Thurman and Christina Ricci. Watch the trailer and see if you can recognize some famous landmarks in Budapest. 


When you reach the top of the stairs of the book shop on Andrassy, you will find the stunning Alexandra bookcafe, which looks as though the ceilings have been painted in a similar style of the cathedrals. More piano playing, older men catching up on news, cakes and coffee. My favourite is the Melange coffee with honey. 


Listed as the most beautiful café in the world, New York Café is where I bring all my visitors to impress and amaze them. Situated in the Boscolo Hotel, this café has been open since 1894 and is most known for its high ceilings, chandeliers and Hungarian cakes. Try the New York and Hungarian cake selections.


Enjoy your coffee time!

Photos property of MR
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© MODERN REVIVAL | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig